Sail Raja Ampat 2014
20th June 2014
“… so I have met with President Yudhoyono and asked him to inaugurate the event… “
Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA News) – President Susilo Yudhoyono is scheduled to open the international maritime event of Sail Raja Ampat on August 22, 2014, stated West Papua Governor Abraham O Atururi.
“Sail Raja Ampat was originally scheduled for June 21 but was then postponed to August 22, so I have met with President Yudhoyono and asked him to inaugurate the event,” Atururi noted here on Friday.
The governor remarked that he is communicating and coordinating with all involved parties, both national and local committees, in an effort to make the international marine event successful.
“I will ensure that the president inaugurates the event on August 22 because I have coordinated with all involved parties, including the local and national committees,” Atururi asserted.
Atururi claimed that the Sail Raja Ampat local committee in Waisai has completed work on numerous supporting infrastructure, including roads, transportation, and accommodation.
The Sail Raja Ampat marine festival will promote the maritime culture of the communities in Raja Ampat, one of the world’s famous diving sites.
The festival will feature an underwater photography competition, rowing boat race, canoe race, underwater orientation competition, beach volleyball, and local cultural attractions.
The maritime event will also showcase a traditional vessels parade and a demonstration of traditional fishing using nets, spears, and arrows, which effectively preserve the marine ecosystem.
Sail Raja Ampat will also offer the Raja Ampat Explore tour package to visitors who can sample the Papuan traditional cuisine in a food festival offering local delicacies, such as clam satay and grilled sago worms.
- Flag Ceremony of 69th Indonesian Independence Day: 17 August 2014 in Waisai, Raja Ampat.
- Raja Ampat Festival Cultural Performance: 18 August 2014
- Regional Potential Exhibition: 19-23 August 2014 at the Soccer Field in Waisai City, Raja Ampat
- Diplomatic Tour: 20-22 August 2014 at the tourist spot of Raja Ampat
- VIP tour for ministers and heads of state institutions: 21 August 2014 with visiting development destinations in Raja Ampat
- VVIP tour for president and entourage: 22 August 2014
- Peak event: 23 August 2014 at Waisai Torang Cinta Beach, Waisai City